Thursday, July 29, 2010

Leaving a Legacy

As I click in to edit this particular blog, this was one that I had actually started at the present time. I think everything was so fresh at the time, I just didn't want to publish it at that particular time. But I hope that it's ok now. Quotes are the original and I will add more at the end.

"As I sit in my quiet kitchen, praying for my wonderful bride of 8 years and her family huddled up a few minutes down the road, I try to imagine what more than 50 years of marriage looks like. How many memories with a bride are packed into 50+ years? How many wonderful memories with children galore are packed into 50+ years? Places seen, endless conversations, mishaps and hilarious moments that will never be forgotten. This is only the tip of iceberg in trying to imagine or probably attempt to relay what it's like.
My wife's loving Papaw, Jim Bagwell, passed away tonight. I do not have the memories that my wife has of her Papaw. And that's exactly how God wants it. God blesses everyone of us with people in our lives that influence us, that grow us, that help us become who we are in our lives."


This is one of those moments where I wish I would have continued writing. This, to me, is what blogging is about. Capturing the moment, in the moment. That's why I hate it so much when I have to go back and play catch-up. It's not "in the moment."

It has been a couple of months since Papaw has passed, but we know that he is dancing with the Lord and that brings us joy. I am thankful for family and the many opportunities the Lord puts before us. I entitled this "leaving a legacy" because I once heard a wise man talk about living life. Do we live our lives day to day just doing what we do and passing moments away, or are we living our lives to leave a legacy? When I am gone, will there be footprints left here on earth that I have left. Not the footprints of money, trophies, possessions, etc.... But footprints of how my kids raise their kids because of what they learned from daddy. Footprints of the former kids that I have taught and who they grow up to be because maybe I made a little bit of difference in their life when they were in 7th grade. Or the most important to me, the unknown footprints that we may never have seen or will see until the other side. The footprints from the folks that we smiled at when we were in line at the grocery store. The footprints from the folks at the park who saw us love on our kids and decided to do things a little bit better at their house. Or the footprints from the folks who should everyday see Jesus Christ in the lives that we live.
So I challenge you today. Are you living your life in routine day to day, or are you living your life to leave a legacy?

1 comment: