Wednesday, July 7, 2010

GO TWO NINE!!!!



We have 3 specific teams/folks that we pull for in the Whitt household......

If it's college football time....ROLL TIDE is the constant theme, decked out in our Julio jerseys and yelling, many times a little too much. :) What did they do in 2010? NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!

If it's college basketball time....LET'S GO DUKE is the constant theme, decked out in our Duke shirts or JJ Redick jerseys with our good luck signed basketball somewhere very near us. What did they do in 2010? NATIONAL CHAMPIONS AS WELL!!!

We are not big pro anything around here...not football, basketball, or baseball. The only other thing we really stay tuned into is Nascar. Now I know many folks will say that Nascar is not a sport, but I challenge anybody to strap into a car and run 200 mph with 40 cars all around you for 3 to 4 hours straight. Bet you get a different opinion after that. Plus if you have ever seen it up close and personal, you might change your mind as well. I have been fortunate enough to be able to see races from the grandstands as well as about 15 ft away in the pits at Bristol Motor Speedway. It is a boys trip/ritual taken every year in August and it's a blast! Last year was the first year in 7 years that we were not able to make the trip, but I am hoping that we will be able to get back on track to the track this year.

The reason for this post is to just say congrats to my favorite driver Kevin Harvick, not only for winning the Coke 400 race at Daytona this weekend, but for turning things around in 2010 and having a shot to win it all and dethrone Jimmie Johnson. I have been a Harvick fan since 2001 when he replaced Dale Earnhardt after his tragic passing at Daytona. For whatever reason, the 29 and my family seem to have this weird little bond that's pretty cool.

When Shannon and I got married (which was on a Saturday), we were on our honeymoon in FL and actually came inside for lunch (on Sunday)and I turned on the race to watch for a few minutes. It was awesome to watch him win that day in Chicago. That was the beginning of a common trend for us.

When Caden was born on April 22nd of 06, what was going to be a fun evening of letting my little man experience his first race with dad, turned sad very quickly. He was rushed to the NICU and had to stay there for over a week. I remember the emotions of that day. I remember visiting hours being weird and how hard it was for me to go down and see him hooked up to all of those machines. I just couldn't do it, but felt that I had to at some point in time. I had settled for waiting for the next day when Shannon and I could go together. Shannon was exhausted and asleep by early evening, but I couldn't get my mind to stop at all. So I turned on the tv and had completely forgot about the race. They were racing at Phoenix and when I turned the tv on, there were about 40 laps left. I remember sitting there in the chair and saying to myself how awesome it would be for Kevin to win one for my little man. And sure enough, he came on at the end and won! I know it's stupid but it brought tears to my eyes. It at that time also gave me a reason to go talk to my little man in the NICU and conquer something that was very hard for me to conquer earlier that evening.

The last and most recent connection, which was about 2 years ago came during a very tough time in our lives. Shannon and I were in Dallas on a business trip of hers. We took Caden and he and I spent the entire week together in the hotel room and the pool. It was so much fun. As we were getting ready to go on Saturday morning, he got a hold of Shannon's straightening iron and burned his hand really bad. We didn't know how bad until we got to the hospital. He had a 3rd degree burn on his hand/fingers and we were going to have to stay at the hospital in Dallas until the beginning of the next week. The incident in and of itself was very emotional and probably the toughest thing that Shannon and I have been through together in the 8 years that we have been married. She was 7 months pregnant with Laura Grace which didn't help things at all. But again, I remember her getting to sleep exhausted from the day and me being wide awake with my mind running rampant. Very very similar to the evening of the day Caden was born, I turned on the tv and the race was on. They were in Phoenix, same as when he was born, and for a few minutes in life, I wanted to watch him win another one "for us". And so he did. :) It was a nice memory in a time of fear and crazy emotions. Caden has come on to be just fine and we still have a story to tell to this day.

Now I know that Kevin Harvick has no idea who we are, and could probably care less. But it is fun to have a little connection like that to our lives.
I also know that Kevin Harvick is not the strength that gets us through our days or our tough times. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ was the strength and rock during these tough times. He was the one to give us the will and strength to keep going and know that in the end, He will take care of us. So please know that I know that.

So back to 2010. I am hoping that the 29 will help us pull out the trifecta of champions this year. How awesome would that be?!?!?!
It would make 2010 a year to remember as far as the Whitt sports go. But if he doesn't pull it off, we will be there to pull him on next year. GO 29!!!!

1 comment:

  1. i have two things to say... 1. please tell me that Harvick can only win during traumatic times in our household.... and 2. i can't believe you found that picture of you and Harvick. Where was it? I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete