Saturday, January 9, 2010

LET IT SNOW, LET IS SNOW, LET IT .......... NOT SHOW!?!?!?!?

As a teacher, Christmas break is a wonderful thing. There is lots of time to do lots of different things....like blog. :) But as the routine of school has come back around, the free time that was once enjoyed has now become limited.

So when the news broke that we were going to get snow on Thursday and Friday, "snow joy" filled the Whitt household. We were so looking forward to building a snowman, making snow icecream, and riding the sled down the hill. You can only imagine the disappointment when my children went down for their nap with flurries all over the place and woke up to .........sunshine and grass??? No snow. NO SNOW!!! DAD, WHERE IS THE SNOW??!!??!! I had to break the tough news that the snow had never truly arrived, and was not going to make an appearance. The rule learned which I am sure we have all learned by now is this. If the weather folks say we are going to get snow, we ain't gettin snow. It's the times where they say that we will only see flurries or not get any at all. That's when we need to truly run to the grocery stores. I am still of the belief that grocery stores and meteorologists are part of a secret society to take care of each other!! :)



Although the snow never arrived, it was very nice to have a day off to just chill. I was able to do a lot of reading and just enjoy the day with the wife and kids. I will say that I probably did too much reading, but thank my wonderful wife for not getting too upset with me about that.

We finished out the evening like many others watching the BCS National Championship game between Alabama and Texas. I was very happy that Alabama won, but one of the big things that will stick out for many is the fact that Texas's best player, QB Colt McCoy was knocked out of the game 5 plays into their first drive and never returned. Unfortunately, this drastically changed the game and put Colt in the spotlight in a totally different manner than he had been in the entire year. I am an avid Alabama football fan, yet one of the biggest things that I will remember about this game is how Colt McCoy stayed strong in his faith as he was interviewed by the media at the end of the game.

In his postgame interview, Colt McCoy stated, "I always give God the glory. I never question why things happen the way they do. God is in control of my life, and I know that nothing else, I'm standing on the Rock."

My FCA devotion on Friday was entitled "Praise in Defeat" and talked about Colt and his witness during this defeated time in his life. The focus verse was Job 1:21 which states:

".....The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away. Praise the name of the Lord."

It really made me think about how many times in our lives it is very easy for us to praise the name of the Lord when we are on top, when things are going well, when life is "easy." But how about when life is hard? Do we praise the name of the Lord when our car breaks down and we only have $5 to fix a $500 job? Do we praise the name of the Lord when we are physically injured and can no longer go about the routines of our day as we once did? Or do we praise the name of the Lord when we have a certain desire on our heart that we want fulfilled and "not right now" or "no" continues to be the answer from Our Father?

I commend Colt McCoy for standing strong and sharing his faith in defeat. It's so much easier to praise His Name when we are hoisting up the trophy or things in our life are going wonderfully well. But the Lord has called us to praise His Name in all things, good, bad, or ugly. I pray that our focus will be that the Lord IS ALWAYS in control and know that He loves us, regardless of our circumstances or situations. Praise His Name today in whatever situation you are in, because somebody out there is watching!

If you missed it, below is a link to Colt's postgame interview and also another youtube video called "I Am Second" that he and Sam Bradford, Oklahoma's QB, made. Both of these kids have been in the spotlight and have taken major stands in their faith and personal relationships with the Lord, and may God bless them for that.

Postgame Interview
I Am Second video

No comments:

Post a Comment