Monday, January 11, 2010

KU VS UT....I REALLY WISH I COULD HAVE HEARD "ROCKY TOP" ONE MORE TIME. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!


On Sunday, my pastor, his boy, my brother, and I traveled to Knoxville TN to watch the #1 team in America, the Kansas Jayhawks, take on the Tennessee Volunteers. We left that morning and drove pretty much all the way there before we stopped for lunch. We ate lunch at Wild Wing Cafe. Great place to stop and eat if you are taking a trip towards the Knoxville area. We arrived and found a decent parking spot about an hour before the tipoff of the game. I will say that it was extremely cold and found it hilarious that our pastor's son was actually walking in and wearing shorts!!! Of course, they are from the north so to him, he said "This isn't cold, you guys don't know what cold is!"















We get in and find our seats pretty easy. We were very happy to see that although we were the opposing team and obviously going to be outnumbered, we were sitting amongst a ton of Jayhawks fans. So at least if we were to throw down, we would have help!! :) The place was packed out and was very loud. It was awesome to experience such a crazy atmosphere for a basketball game. I will say that I really thought with all of the junk going on with Tennessee's program, they were going to get killed by Kansas. And with my pastor being such a huge Kansas fan, I was hoping for this reason it would happen as well. Not the case.














As the game began, Tennessee played with a lot of emotion and Kansas seemed very flat and lethargic. As the game progressed, Tennessee was making EVERYTHING they threw up and Kansas was turning the ball over almost every other trip. I was amazed that the game stayed as close as it did with as horrible as Kansas played. I will not lie and say that it being a close game made for a wonderful atmosphere at the very end.

The photo above is one of my favorite from the trip. Some things I will remember is that Rocky Top is the only song known in the state of Tennessee. I will guess that it was played at least 30 times in a 2 hour span. Being an Alabama fan, it was pure torture to hear that song over and over. The other thing that I will remember is how the student section was too chicken to rush the floor in the end. If my team just beat the number 1 team in the nation, it would take masses of people to keep me and my buddies off the floor. Yet they did not even make one big push to attempt to get on the floor. Poor, poor, student section.

Thanks to our pastor for inviting us to go and hope we get to make it to some more games soon! Even though it was a loss, I know that he will continue his "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" chant as my brother and I continue our "Let's Go Duke" chant. How awesome would it be to have a Kansas vs Duke National Championship game. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment