Wednesday, June 9, 2010

THE THINGS WE DO FOR OUR KIDS!!



Having a 4 year old has been a blast! Caden is now at that age where he is curious about everything, always asking questions, and soaking in every bit of everything. With this wonderful curiosity also comes challenges for mom and dad. Will we step up to the plate and attempt things or just push them off to the side? I always try to do different things with Caden and he loves to be my little shadow. He is now of age where we can play the Wii together, Playstation, and he loves when dad will "shoot hoops" with him. I am taking every second I can right now because I know that in a blink, he will be 18 and graduating from high school and probably out of here.



So the challenge of the decade came on Monday. Caden has had this rubix cube since Christmas time. It has been in his room forever and for some reason, within the past week, he has been infatuated with it and wanting to know how to solve it and make the colors match. So he comes to me and says "Dad, I know that you are really smart.....will you do this for me?" What's a dad to say? NO? No way that I can say that to my little man when he has huge expectations from dad. So I get home from summer school on Tuesday and start at it.
Below is a link to the best teacher in the world!!!! I don't know you dude, but your video rocked!! :) Using these 2 tutorial videos, I was able to master the chaos of the rubix cube.





Mastery of the cube did not come without a price though. :) I worked from 1:30 in the afternoon till 9:45 that night trying to figure that stupid thing out. And at 9:45, I threw it across the room and gave up for that moment in time. I was highly ticked that I could not conquer it in the timespan of that day, and my wife was ticked as well. She was wondering how in the world a grown man will spend an entire 1/2 day trying to figure out a toy.
Oh, what we will do for the children.
Wed morning arrives and I am the type who gives up on nothing!!! So I took it with me to summer school. I had a little bit of time in the morning before summer school to get 3/4 of the way done. It was the last 1/4 that kept messing me up. I finished summer school and came home to take care of the kids. When I arrived, by the grace of our Lord above, all 4 children were in the bed and asleep. So what was I to do??? CONQUER THE CUBE!!!!! So I pulled it out and went at it. It only took me 1 hour to finish it up and finally conquer the "brain cramp" of a toy.



I was so excited!!! I can't tell you the last time I was so proud of myself. I sent my wife a text pic of the cube. She laughed at me because she thought that I was texting stressing out about the kids. When Caden woke up, I was able to show him as well and he was ecstatic.





My favorite quote of the day...."Dad, I knew you were really smart like that."
So, although the conquering of the cube was very satisfying for me, the main purpose in the first place was to make a 4 year old extremely happy and show him that his daddy is "one smart dude!"



The picture above is one of my favorite within the moment as well. After checking out the cube, he decides to spin it a few times himself and then yells...
"HEY DAD!!! LOOK, I DID IT!!!" :) GOOD JOB SON

2 comments:

  1. bahahaha! i'm shocked the ending of this wasn't "and then i turned and my 1 yr old nephew was smiling and had the cube all messed up again!" :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason did the same thing when Noah pulled his cube out! He was online in NO TIME!! Then we take it to church and a 15 year old does it in 15 minutes with no computer or anything. Noah can get ONE side now but not all sides!

    Doesn't it just KILL when they give it a spin though!! I'm always like - "Let's just go buy a new one!" or it needs to at least stay in perfect position for a WEEK! ha ha!!

    You're a GREAT dad Josh!! Not to mention your kids make you look REALLY GOOD!! HA! Love you!

    ReplyDelete